Desk Jockeys Urged to Take Small Steps to Get Exercise
Expert offers tips for those whose jobs require sitting all day.
By Robert Preidt, HealthDay News
Don't Miss This
Sign Up for OurHealthy LivingNewsletter
Thanks for signing up!You might also like these other newsletters:
FRIDAY, Feb. 24, 2012 (HealthDay News) —Spending long hours at your desk may boost your work productivity, but it can harm your health, an expert warns.
There's growing evidence that the more time you spend sitting each day, the greater your risk of heart disease. Your spine, shoulders and hips may also suffer.
"It's important to get up and move around throughout the day," occupational therapist Julia Henderson-Kalb said in a Saint Louis University Medical Center news release. "Exercise not only helps with how you feel physically, but it also improves your mind and your memory."
It may not be possible for you to go to the gym at lunchtime, but making small changes to your daily work routine can help protect your health, she said.
Henderson-Kalb offered the following suggestions:
- Sitting on an exercise ball instead of a chair will strengthen your abdominal and back muscles, and improve your posture.
- If possible, walk around while you talk on the phone.
- A timer or alarm set to go off hourly can help you remember to take a moment to stand and stretch.
- Choose the stairs whenever possible, and use the restrooms on another floor.
- Avoid the parking spots closest to the building.
- Wear a pedometer and plan to take between 6,000 and 10,000 steps per day.
- Keep light weights or exercise bands at your desk to help squeeze in an exercise break.
- Bring your lunch to work. The time you save can be used for a quick walk or workout.
Video: Blondie - Rapture
Living With the Hepatitis C Virus
See All The Gorgeous Looks From Marchesa’s Fall 2013 BridalCollection
Blood Pressure: Know Your Numbers
Grilled Salmon with Sumac and Courgette Risotto Recipe
This Is Us: The Complete First Season Giveaway
Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Chicken Soup
How to Make Nutritious Summer Treats for Your Dog
7 Ways You Can Help Others and Give Back While Working Out
Gieves Hawkes AW14 – London Collections: MEN
Stay there until the treaty is fixed
Nearly 3 in 10 Americans With Diabetes Dont Know It
Top 10 Boutiques In Bangalore
Tons Of Americans Would Rather Sleep Alone Than With a Partner
How to Be a Lacto Ovo Vegetarian
How to Take Notes for Science