How to change brake discs
Watch the video
Brake discs are a very important part of your car. Due to the pressing to the brake pads, they slow down the movement of the car. Over time, brake discs wear out. This process is accelerated by aggressive driving or adverse weather. In any case, sooner or later the brake discs will have to be replaced.
How to change the front and rear brake discs, will be discussed below.
How to replace brake discs
Before you change the brake discs, you need to prepare the necessary tools and things. The following is a list of tips that will help you:
- Take gloves with you. When replacing brake discs you can easily get dirty. Yes, and any repair work with the machine often leads to the fact that then you have to wash your hands. Gloves in this case will relievetaking the time to wash your hands;
- Use a lift or jack to lift the machine. In this case, in order to avoid injuries, the main thing is to make sure that the jack or the lift is reliable;
- You will also need a set of keys of different sizes and a screwdriver to carry out the replacement procedure;
- Clamp in order to release the pads when attaching a new disk;
- Also take a cleaning agent with you in order to wipe and lubricate the new brake disc and other parts;
- You can also use special sprays and other coatings for extra care.
Once the tools and necessary things are prepared, you can begin to replace the brake discs.
Removing the old brake disc
To remove the old worn brake disc, you need to follow a certain procedure:
- Raise the car on a jack or a lift.
- Remove the wheel to get to the brake disc. To do this, remove the cap and unscrew all the bolts.
- When you remove the wheel, you will see the brake disc, calipers and hub.First, remove the calipers, which are bolted on the back side. For this it is better to use a thin screwdriver. It is important when removing not to damage the hydroline, but also not to disconnect the calipers from it, otherwise the brake fluid will flow. It is best in this case to tie the calipers to something or fix in any way.
- Remove the old brake disc. In some cases, it can be easily removed by hand, but it happens that it is attached to the hub. Then you have to hammer the disc from the hub for removal. It is better to soften the blows by placing a plank. If there is an additional mount, unscrew it to remove the disc.
Once you have removed the old disk, you can attach a new one.
Installing a new brake disc
To install a new disk, do the following:
- Before you put a new disk, you need to put on it a cleaningmeans or spray that will protect your disc from wear and dirt. To do this, use a special tool that is designed for brake discs, otherwise you will harm it.
- Put the disc on the hub so that the studs of the hub fall into the holes in the brake disc. Then secure the drive with the hub mountings, if any. If when you replace the drive you have bent the mounting pin, it is better to replace it. The pin in the store is inexpensive.
- Install calipers and their attachments in place. To do this, unclip the clamping pads and put calipers on top of the disc, then fasten the calipers with bolts.
- Put the wheel and cap in place.
- Lower the machine to the ground and remove the jack or lift.
After installing the new brake disc, you need to check it for performance. To do this, just gently touch and brake. If the braking occurs smoothly, without jerks and vibrations, then everything is in order. In the opposite case, it is necessary to reassemble the wheel and brake disc to check the correctness of the assembly.
In order for brake discs to last longer, you need to care for them.
How to care for brake discs
Every six months, you can carry out maintenance, inspection and evaluation of brake pads for wear. This is done by checking the control groove or troughs on the brakethe pads. If they are not visible, then it means it's time to change the brake pads.
Also on the caliper, it is necessary to lubricate the guide bolts so that braking takes place more smoothly and gently. You can also lubricate the reverse side of the brake pads and spring linings to reduce noise and vibration when braking. It is important to understand that it is impossible to lubricate the front side of the brake pads, otherwise it will lead to breakage of the brakes and, eventually, to an accident.
In addition, from time to time it is necessary to clean the parts of the brakes from dirt and dust, so that they work better.