How to create a volume in windows 7?
You can create a volume in windows 7 using both old tools: programs like Acronis Disc Director or Partition Manager, and using the built-in disk management tools.
Remember that with any method you need to use an account with Administrator rights.
Creating a volume using built-in windows tools
If you need a new hard disk partition, you can, without resorting to third-party programs, go two ways:
- Using the windows command line using the built-in utility Diskpart
- Using windows disk management GUI
Both methods are equally effective and for the average computer user differ only in the convenience of execution.
Creating a partition using DiskPart
- Open the windows command line: click the start button, in the section all programs select the standard category, then click the command line.
- In the command window that appears, type diskpart and press enter. The command line diskpart appears in the command window.
- In the diskpart command line, type the list disk command and press enter. This command will list the hard disks connected to your computer and their parameters.Select the disk on which you want to create a partition and remember its number.
- At the diskpart command line, enter the select diskn command, where n is the number of the disk on which you want to create a new partition.
- In the diskpart command line, enter the create partition primary = n command, where n is the size of the partition being created in megabytes (MB). If you do not specify the size of the partition being created, then all free space on the hard disk will be allocated for the partition.
- In the diskpart command line, type assign letter = n, where n is the letter that will be named as the partition being created. If the selected letter is already in use, an error will occur. If you do not select a letter for the partition being created, the system will automatically assign it the next free letter in the alphabet.
Creating a partition using the windows disk management GUI
In previous versions of the operating system, working with disk partitions was not as easy as creating a volume on windows 7. The new graphical interface for managing disks is accessible and understandable to the average computer user.
To create a new volume through this interface, you need:
- Go to the control panel (click Start → Control Panel)
- Select a group System and Security
- In the Administration section, select Create and format hard disk partitions.So you run a special utility for managing windows disks, with which you can create and delete disk partitions, split them, change their letters and sizes, and many other useful things.
- Click the left mouse button on the unmarked area designation block (highlighted with a black bar) and select the Create simple volume item in the appeared menu. So you run the wizard to create a volume. Note that the size of the volume being created cannot exceed the size of the unallocated area. To increase the size of the unallocated space, you need to compress the volume already existing on the disk.
- Click Next.
- Set the size of the volume being created.
- Assign a volume letter from free.
- Select Do not format this volume, and click Finish.
New tom is ready!
Creating a volume using special software
As before, you can use special programs to manage hard drives, which were distributed before the release of windows 7 with a built-in utility.
The most popular programs were Acronis Disc Director and Partition Manager. With a very wide range of functions, such programs were indispensable for working with disks and partitions. The functionality of the programs allows:
- create, format and delete partitions
- resize volumes, merge partition disk spaces into one large
- recover deleted partitions
- assign and change drive letters
- convert file systems
And this is not a complete list of opportunities provided by the programs to optimize and improve the performance of your computer.
How to create a volume using Paragon Partition Manager
First you need to install the program on your computer. You can download it either on the official or on. Run the program and follow the instructions:
- In the top menu of the window select the wizard, the item create a section. This will open the wizard for creating a new section.
- In the window that appears, click next 2 times.
- Here is a list of existing sections. You need to choose one of them, the memory from which you donate to create a new volume.
- By selecting a section, use the slider to determine the amount of memory that you will allocate to the new section and click next.
- Select the file system type for the partition being created, the drive letter and volume label (disk name).
- Click Next → done.
- Now the program will ask for permission to restart the computer to make and save changes to the system. Agree
New tom is ready!
How to create a volume using Acronis Disc Director
Install Acronis Disc Director on your computer. You can download it on the official developer, and on. Run the program and follow the instructions:
- In the wizard menu on the left, click on the creation of a new section.
- In the wizard window that appears, a list of existing sections will be presented. You need to choose one of them, the memory from which you donate to create a new volume.
- Specify the size of the new volume. The default is set to the maximum size of the volume. To set a different size, move the slider or type the desired value in the Volume Size field.
- Next you need to select the type of volume being created. If you are not going to install an operating system on it, and you only plan to store data on it, it is recommended to select the Logical type (choose Primary to install the OS)
- Next, select the file system for the volume (Fat32 or NTFS). The Fat32 system does not support a volume size of more than 2 TB.
- Specify the volume label - the short name of the partition by which you distinguish it from the rest on the computer.
- Assign a letter to it so that you can find files and folders on it.
- Click Finish to add the operation to create a new volume to the queue. Now the operation is pending confirmation.If you close the program without confirming the operation, it will not be executed and the changes will not be saved.
- On the toolbar, click the Confirm scheduled operations button. This will open a window of scheduled operations that are waiting for confirmation.
- To make changes to the system, click continue. Now you can close the program.
New tom is ready!
All these methods are good, choose the one that will be more convenient for you personally.