How to fix a radiator leak?
Watch the video
During the operation of the vehicle, drivers face the problem of leakage of coolant for several reasons:
- the connections connecting the engine and the entire ring cooling system are cracking and breaking apart;
- glands pump lose over time tightness;
- cracks appear in the plastic expansion tank;
- a hole is formed in the radiator due to the stone that has flown in through the grille, or the destruction of radiator cells occurs under the influence of “outdated” antifreeze.
Before you fix a radiator leak, it is worth determining the location of the leak and assess the size of the hole through which the antifreeze comes out. This will help the color of the coolant, which is tinted specifically to determine the location of the leak. After assessing the parameters of the holes, we choose the option that is suitable for its elimination at the time of inspection.
Ways to eliminate the holes
There are several ways to help patch the hole:
- when the size of the hole to 2 square. mm special sealants are used as a temporary means of blocking the problem area;
- more serious holes are eliminated with heat-resistant glue (“cold welding”), which has the consistency of clay, can be easily applied even to a hard-to-reach repair area;
- soldering is applied on aluminum and copper radiators in case of major restoration of a damaged part.
Instructions and principle of working with sealants
How to eliminate the leak of a car radiator with the help of sealants is painted on the label of this product. Means are of three types - powder, polymer, metallized. They have slight differences in use, but basically boil down to one common application: warm up the engine for 20 minutes, turn off and wait until the coolant pressure in the system drops, pour / fill the sealant into the radiator or expansion tank and start again engine for 20 minutes.
By circulating with antifreeze, the agent does not settle on the walls of the radiator, reacts only with oxygen (with air at the site of damage).The resulting thin film prevents liquid from flowing out. It is worth considering that the frequent use of sealants clogs the radiator, to avoid serious damage it should be washed and carried out a thorough repair.
Since it is not possible to completely eliminate the leak of a radiator of cooling with a sealant, solder the spare part until the hole is completely eliminated. First, it is worth examining the width or diameter of the hole; after draining the liquid, clean the place for welding and with a soldering iron apply either solder (brass or copper), or install a patch on a large area of damage.