How to make a balyk catfish
Balyk catfish in production is prepared for several months. For cooking at home, you can use one of the two proposed recipes. Dried balyk is especially good, it can be stored for a long time in the refrigerator after preparation. The fish is obtained with the smell of spices, translucent at the cut, amazingly delicate in taste.
- Preparation time:2 minutes
- Cooking time:1 minute
If there is no smokehouse, but you really want to cook smoked balyk from catfish, this original recipe will help you realize your plans.
- Crush pepper, cloves and bay leaf. Mix these spices with 3 tbsp. l salt and 2 tbsp. l Sahara.
- Catfish fillet, cleared of bones, skin and excess fat, weighing about 500 grams, rub with a mixture of salt, sugar and spices, put on all night or at least 2 hours in the refrigerator. Press the top of the fish down with the load on top.
- Take a deep cast iron skillet, cover it with an iron grid. Pick up a large semicircular iron lid.
- Place the foil on the bottom of the pan.
- Lay out slightly wet sawdust on the foil. Instead of sawdust, you can prepare a mixture for smoking: mix 150 g of rice, 1 tbsp. l a spoonful of large leaf tea and 1 tbsp. l Sahara.
- Clean the remaining salt off a piece of fish with a paper towel. Blot the remaining moisture.
- Put the pan on the fire. When sawdust smoke, put fish on the grill and cover with a lid.
- Smoke catfish 40 minutes over low heat, turning over after 20 minutes for even cooking.
This smoked balyk fish is prepared by cold smoking, at a smoke temperature not higher than 30 degrees. It takes from 24 to 48 hours, and it is difficult to reproduce the process at home without a special smokehouse.
How to make dried balyk from catfish fillet
This is a real balyk, which is prepared by an accelerated method, and after salting it is dried in air for several days.
- catfish - 3 kg;
- salt - 1 kg;
- coriander - 10 g.
- Soma gut, clean the mucus to white skin, wash well.
- Cut off the head and tail of the fish. Separate fish fillets from bones and skin.
- Put the fillet in a container with coarse salt, sprinkle with coriander on top, then another layer of salt.
- Press down on top with a lid smaller in size than the tank for salting, put the load on top.
- Soak on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator for 7 days.
- Soak in cold water for 8 hours.
- Hang fillets for 3 days in a cool, ventilated area.
- Ready balyk can be stored in food parchment in the refrigerator for 3 months or longer.
Balik can be dried or smoked. This dried balyk is prepared for several months, but at home the cooking process is reduced to 10 days.