How correctly to take hormonal preparations?
Everyone knows that alcohol is a product harmful to the body, and together with drugs, its destructive effect is enhanced several times. Alcohol is highly toxic, and when combined with any medication, it can cause serious health problems, even death. Today we will discuss its interaction specifically with hormone-based drugs.
How does alcohol affect hormones?
Many women prefer to use hormonal drugs as contraception. Usually their reception lasts quite a long time or at all - constantly. There comes a time when the question arises, how to combine the intake of tablets and alcohol? What to do if you are visiting, at a wedding or just celebrating the New Year? Doctors say the following:
- alcohol is incompatible with any medication;
- the effect of consuming alcoholic beverages and any medical devices is unpredictable;
- It is strictly forbidden to take hormonal drugs with alcohol.
Based on these responses, the best solution would be to refuse alcohol or hormone therapy.
Consequences of the combination of alcohol and hormones
Hormones provoke a "restart" of the female endocrine system. She begins to work in a completely different mode. The combination of drugs with alcohol can cause serious side effects.
- Activation of the adrenal glands and sex glands begins, which causes an increased production of adrenaline, aldosterone and cortisone. As a result, there is an excessive presence of hormones in the blood, which leads to an overdose.
- Alcohol can also completely suppress the therapeutic effect. This is the most harmless outcome, which is extremely rare.
- Possible development of ulcers, thrombophlebitis, migraines and seizures.
- There is a possibility that a major endocrine system malfunction will occur, which will entail a lot of negative consequences (various diseases, weight gain or rapid weight loss).
In any instructions to drugs there is a clause that is not recommended or strictly prohibited combination with alcohol.With regard to hormonal drugs, they already have a fairly stressful effect on the body, do not additionally increase the load on the organs with alcohol. For the correct effects of drugs and their own safety, you must follow all the instructions or advice of a doctor.
Adverse reactions from taking hormones and alcohol:
- androgens - increased estrogen levels, reduced effects;
- glucagon - no effect;
- hormones of the pituitary gland, hypothalamus, gonadotropins - abnormalities in the work of internal organs, dysfunction of the nervous system, decreased production of vasopressin, oxytocin, thyrotropin, hormones of the hypothalamic-pituitary system, etc .;
- thyroid hormones - a negative effect on the general condition of the body, reduced production of hormones, minimal effect of therapy;
- insulin - coma, metabolic disorders, hypoglycemia;
- corticosteroids - toxic effect, bleeding, increased pressure, central nervous system depression, increased production of endogenous aldosterone;
- progestin, estrogen - the release of estrogen.
It is important to remember that alcohol significantly reduces or completely eliminates the effect of contraceptives. In addition, there is a strong load on the liver. Even a very small amount of alcohol can cause irreparable harm to health.
Effect on the male body
Most often, men are assigned to receive testosterone, because after 25 years the body does not produce enough of its production. Every year, symptoms begin to develop: reduced sexual desire, weight gain, loss of strength. The doctor selects the required dosage after a series of tests. Incorrect drug intake and combination with alcohol can cause the following:
- prostate cancer;
- allergic rashes;
- weak production of natural hormone.
Alcohol inhibits the absorption of nutrients and trace elements, which are essential elements in the proper operation of systems, including endocrine. In addition, the destruction of tissues and cells of the body.
Take care of your health!