How to write a statement to the police?
There are enough films and programs where we can see how the law enforcement system works. We sit in the evening on the couch and contemplate with peace of mind how police from different countries catch criminals, drive cars with flashing lights, expose mafia groups and drink cola, seizing it with donuts.
But in real life, things are a little different. Unfortunately, there are situations when there is a need to do things with them, and we don’t even know how to write a statement to the police.
If you are a victim of criminals, something was stolen from you, or you are a witness to a crime, you must write a statement to the police, where you must accept it. But this is only a theory. In practice, it turns out that for the police, your statement is another headache, and they will do everything not to get your statement. Therefore, you need to be grounded in a certain way and act clearly and correctly.
We write a statement
- In the upper right corner make out the so-called header:
- On duty at the ATS of such and such a district of a certain city ...
- The head of the ATS to such a ...
- Your name, address, phone
- Next, write in the middle of the line "statement", put a dot.
- From the new line set out the essence of the matter. You need to write in short sentences, describing only the facts, avoiding all speculation and assumptions. If you know the criminal, indicate his name and place of residence. The same with witnesses: they are listed with names and addresses. If there are documents confirming the crime (photographs, audio recordings, written documents), you describe their list in the appendix to your application and attach copies of them.
- At the end of the statement it is useful to indicate the following:
- Based on paragraph 1 of Art. 145 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, the investigator is obliged to take one of the following decisions: initiation of a case, refusal to initiate a case, transfer of a report on investigative jurisdiction to a court.
- Based on paragraph 1 of Art. 144 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, the inquiry officer must make a decision within three days from the day the application was submitted and inform the applicant about its adoption. In case of extension up to 10-30 days inform the applicant about the extension.
- At the end of the statement, you must add that you are warned about the responsibility for the false denunciation.
Submit an application
Now it's time to give a statement to the police officer on duty, since writing a statement to the police is only half the battle, you need to hand it over. Here, too, have their own subtleties. Let me remind you that the policeman may not want to accept your statements, arguing his refusal by various invented reasons. Do not get fooled by them. Be extremely calm and polite, but decisive in your desire to file your application.
You can remind the duty officer that, according to article 144 of the Code of Criminal Procedure of the Russian Federation, he is obliged to accept and register any statement about a crime, moreover, not only on certain days and hours, but around the clock, whenever you turn. If in this case you get a refusal, then dial 02 from your phone (from a mobile it can be done by dialing 8, area code, 02) and inform the operator that in such and such a department such and such person refuses to accept your statement about offense.
Thus, submitting an application to the police is not easy and troublesome, well, if you get a bona fide employee who will help you and arrange everything, and will immediately accept everything written. But this, unfortunately, happens infrequently,and it is unlikely that someone in the department will clearly and intelligibly explain to you how to write a statement to the police so that it will be accepted the first time and without unnecessary questions. Therefore, it is better to go there savvy with all well-designed papers.