Is it possible to get pregnant with a spiral?
The spiral is a well-known means of protection against unwanted pregnancy. But for some reason we are constantly rumored that pregnancy may still occur. So is it possible to get pregnant with a helix? Or is it just a rumor?
Possibility of pregnancy
In rare cases it is possible to get pregnant with a helix. The presence of the intrauterine device as a foreign body in the uterus is a reliable means of contraception. But there are cases when, despite this, pregnancy begins. What are the causes of a possible spiral pregnancy? Most often, the woman simply does not notice that the spiral partially or completely fell out of the uterus.
Probability of getting pregnant with a helix
To deal with the probability of becoming pregnant with a helix, let's look at the types of intrauterine devices, because the possibility of pregnancy also depends on this.
- Spiral for 5 years. This intrauterine device releases a hormone-like substance levonorgestrel.Researchers say that the probability of becoming pregnant with such a helix is 0.5%.
- Spiral for a period of up to 7 years. This intrauterine device contains silver or copper. The possibility of pregnancy will be equal to 2% using this type of helix.
If pregnancy occurs
What if you got pregnant with a spiral?
First, it is important to remember that there is still a small percentage of the probability of becoming pregnant with a spiral. Therefore, with any delay in menstruation, you should be checked for pregnancy. If time does not diagnose the appearance of pregnancy, the spiral can cause miscarriage. If a woman becomes pregnant and wants to save the child, then only the doctor can remove the helix with the help of special hanging threads from her into the vagina. This should be done as early as possible. If these threads are not visible in the vagina and cannot be picked up at all, then abortion is often recommended. After removing the spiral, the pregnancy will be no different from the usual. Even if the spiral could not be removed, and the woman decided to give birth, then it is possible to bring such a pregnancy to some. And in this case, from the second half of pregnancy, you can not worry about their health and the health of the child.
When deciding to use the intrauterine device as a means of contraception, consider the following recommendations:
- It is undesirable to use a spiral for women who have not yet given birth.
- The spiral does not protect you from sexually transmitted infections, so they do not recommend the use of the spiral to women with more than one partner.
- The helix can only be entered by a doctor.
- Before using the helix, it is necessary to undergo an examination, which will find out if there are any contraindications to this type of contraception.