Making a side saw with your own hands
For lovers of handicraft, a miter saw is one of the most popular and indispensable tools. Replacing a primitive block, it quickly gained popularity in small workshops and large-scale production. The advantage of this tool is accurate and safe cutting at right angles or angles. The engine is often located above the bed, and mounted on a movable carriage with a handle. The depth of the cut is set by limiters at the base, and by hand. Power tools of this kind have already been appreciated by many professional craftsmen and novice amateurs. We propose to do this to you!As you have already seen, the necessary equipment can be made even from the improvised low-cost elements. In a small workshop, it will be able to help out at the right time, and in the field it will be a real help to a true master of his craft.
The advantage of self-made trimmingToday, you cannot surprise anyone with a miter saw. A lot of modifications, from branded to cheap Chinese, with longitudinal and angular cuts are present on the market. However, the cost of them sometimes rolls over, and the accuracy does not always correspond to the stated. Is it possible to do without the purchase of a specialized tool, you ask. The proposed installation proves that miter saw with longitudinal saw can be made at home. The cost of its assembly is minimal. In addition, the drill on the basis of which our trimming is done can also be used for its intended purpose.
Required materials and toolsConsumables:
- For a bed: a sheet of plywood with a thickness of 14-20 mm, sheathed with one plane of galvanized;
- A cutting disc with pointers for a longitudinal cut, diameter - 125 mm;
- Three pieces of plywood: 30x15 cm - for the handle, 24x15 cm - for the carriage, 18x14 - for the base stand;
- One-piece window hinge -1 pc;
- Drill (possible without reverse);
- Two pairs of U-shaped split guide for furniture drawers;
- Hardware: bolts, nuts, screws;
- Cardboard for the template;
- Joiner's glue, lacquer on wood.
- Drill or Screwdriver;
- Electric Jigsaw with a file on wood;
- Pliers, drills, nozzles for tightening screws;
- Paint knife, tape measure, pencil, brush for varnish and glue.
1. Fix the base standMark up the base stand position on the bed, shifting it to the left side from the middle, and cut through it with a galvanized chisel.
2.We make the handleOn the template prepared in advance, we mark the handle of our trimming. We use a piece of plywood 30x15cm.
3. We connect the handle with the carriageFor this we need furniture guides.
4. We fasten the drillFrom the back of the carriage we fasten the drill holder to the screws. It can be made from a small piece of plywood by making a sufficient hole for the cartridge.
5. Installing the carriageFor a more convenient location of the blanks on the frame and facing them, it is necessary that our carriage had a vertical stroke. This condition will provide us a window loop.
6. The final stage of the work - we put the cutting disc, protective cover and restrictive barWith the help of the M8 bolt, 50-60 mm long, we make the shaft for our trimming. For the disc, it is best to pick the washers wider, because the mounting hole for cutting discs of such a diameter can be 15-20mm. Tighten the disc on our shaft with a locknut and pinch it in the drill chuck with a key.