Paper model of the F7F-3P Tigercat fighter

Materials and tools:

  1. scissors, paper knife, drawing ruler
  2. tweezers;
  3. glue brushes and paint;
  4. watercolors (or pencils), toothpicks;
  5. clear acrylic glue ("Moment", etc.);
  6. to print the model matte photo paper with a density of 170-180 g / m2;
  7. for small parts - 70-80 g / m2.

Build Tips:

  1. Before you assemble the part, read the drawings and instructions. Determine the place of each part and imagine its assembly;
  2. Make holes in details before cutting out the part;
  3. Cut only the part (s) you need right now. Unpacked items in a box, and unused sheets in a closed folder (as an option). Throwing out trash after work, carefully inspect the scrap paper;
  4. To better fold the part, it is necessary to hold the ruler along the fold line, pressing lightly with the blunt side of the knife or a toothpick so as not to damage the paper surface. Better to do it from the wrong side of the part;
  5. Keep your fingers clean and be sure to use wipes to wipe your hands, because hands may get dirty in the process;
  6. wind up cylindrical parts before gluing onto a round object of a suitable diameter, this will give them shape;
  7. Before gluing it is necessary to paint the ends of the part. White crop lines spoil the overall look of the model. To paint the ends, use watercolors or gouache paints. After selecting the desired color, apply them in a thin layer, then allow the paint to dry. About markers better to forget;
  8. Take your time with gluing. First, cut out the part, paint it from the end, wait for the paint to dry, assemble the part. Attach it to the place where it should be to make sure everything is done correctly. And only then stick. Do not forget to let the glue dry.

A bit of history

American carrier-based fighter F7F-3P Tigercat

Continuing improvement fighter Grumman firm conducted a study which showed that an increase in the area of ​​the tail will improve the stability and controllability of the car.One of the prototypes was appropriately re-equipped and tested in a wind tunnel. The test results were positive - one more modification of the “Tigerkat” - F7F-3 - was born. The first flight of the serial fighter took place on March 10, 1945, and for the period from March 1945 to June 1946, 250 "triples" of various modifications were launched. Externally, the aircraft differed from its predecessors only in vertical tail space increased in height and area, much more serious changes were made to the structure. The fighter was equipped with Pratt-Whitney R-2800-34W engines with a capacity of 2100 hp, with improved altitude characteristics, strengthened the airframe design, and an additional 300-liter fuel tank was installed on the site of the operator’s cabin, bringing the total capacity of the fuel system to 1,720 liters. Cannon-machine gun armament remained the same - four 12.7 mm machine guns in the nose with an ammunition of 300 rounds per barrel and four 20 mm cannons (300 rounds per barrel) in the wing root (it should be noted that due to some problems, part of the F7F-2N and the "triples" of early release were equipped with fully machine-gun weapons). Significantly increased the design of the pylons, which increased the weight of the combat load - now the aircraft could carry 453-kg bombs under the wing, and under the fuselage - 907-kg bombs.It has also become possible to use 1 135.5-liter outboard fuel tanks. The increase in weight of the aircraft required to strengthen the design of the chassis.

The first deliveries of the KMP fighter began in March 1945, and its development in squadrons was conducted at an accelerated pace in order to quickly test the F7F-3 in battle. Joe Renner, one of the commanders of the KMP Sherry Point airbase, suggested not to transport planes by sea, but to overtake them in Hawaii, so that later, flying from island to island, deliver them under their own power to the area of ​​hostilities. This made it possible not only to avoid possible losses in the case of torpedoing vehicles, but also saved time. To prove his point, Renner made a non-stop flight from Sherry Point to San Diego, California. Armament was removed from his aircraft, gun ports were sealed, and three outboard tanks of 1,135 liters each brought the total fuel supply to 5,000 liters. The flight went without complications and after overcoming a distance of 3,700 km (and this was more than enough to fly from San Francisco to Hawaii) there was still a small amount of fuel. A couple of days later, Renner repeated the flight in the opposite direction, but the high command did not pay attention to these achievements and the combat-ready formations set off by sea to Guam, late for engaging in battle.

Given the large radius of action and high speed of the fighter, it was based on the photo-scanner, which received the designation F7F-3P. The first of these vehicles fleet received in March 1945, the last - in December. For nine months, about 60 planes were produced. Like the F7F-3N, the photo prospectors went off the main assembly line and went to Lockheed for refinement. Armament was not put on them, and photographic equipment was mounted in the rear fuselage, consisting of two side-view cameras and three vertically mounted cameras for route photography. In addition, the equipment was installed on the airplane for remote control of photography and a periscope in the cockpit of the pilot, which provided him with an overview downward. In the stowed position, the camera lenses were closed with covers, which were also remotely controlled.