What is a lab?
Increasingly, the words "laboratory", "tested in the laboratory", "laboratory studies", etc. flash in the headlines of the media. But what does this word mean, what is a laboratory?
What is a laboratory: definition
There are three definitions of this word.
- The laboratory is a specially equipped room for conducting all kinds of research, observations and experiments. It is here that work various experts in the field of chemistry, physics and other sciences. Laboratories contain special equipment, reagents and other equipment necessary for work;
- laboratory - a special department or institution that deals with the solution of certain issues or the development of a new product. For example, a research laboratory, an experimental laboratory, etc .;
- much less often, this word is used to describe any internal processes, device or activity of someone or something. For example, "these thoughts were born in the author's internal laboratory" or "a plant cell is a small laboratory."
Types of laboratories
Additionally, there are 3 types of laboratories.
- Sanitary or analytical - is engaged in the study of the quality and safety of food, flavoring substances, additives, care products, etc .;
- testing - the creation or testing of a new product for compliance with established international standards of quality and compliance;
- flying - specially equipped laboratory on an aircraft, in particular airplanes. For example, such laboratories have services of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Russian Federation.